Saturday, November 20, 2004

we are . . . penn state

So thanks to Amelia's hotel job, we got free tickets to today's PSU v. Michigan State game. Our seats were excellent: right on the 50 yrd line, row 51, which sounds high, but I've never had seats that perfect before. We weren't too high up, and we could see the whole field perfectly. They were like $50 a piece, so props to Amelia for job perks.

What can I say? I've become a Nittany Lions fan! The whole crowd was way into it, and the field just echoes perfectly. It sounds like a silly chant, but when half the stadium shouts "WE ARE" and the other half shouts "PENN STATE!" it just makes you smile. And everyone yells everytime the other team has the ball so that they can't hear anything. It was awesome. I yelled myself hoarse I think.

There weren't nearly as many penalties as there are at every Cougar game I went to too, and the players were just completely into it. The fans were actually nicer than any sporting event I've been too. For every touchdown everyone high fives everyone around them.

We did get a little lucky, because this was one of only 4 games that Penn State won this year, so that also helped pump up the crowd a little bit. And the 3rd quarter was great. We kept picking off the Michigan State QB at like the 10 or 20 yard line and then returning them for TDs a few minutes later.

Now I grew up a basketball fan (Go Jayhawks!) but this is the most fun I've ever had at a football game.

Final score: 37-13 Penn State.

No comments: