Saturday, December 11, 2004

stepford wives

Amelia and I watched The Stepford Wives last night. It was pretty disappointing. Nicole Kidman was not particularly likeable in the film. I guess we're supposed to feel sorry for her, and yes, turning people into robots is wrong no matter how dysfunctional they are, but frankly I could have cared less about her character--or anyone else in the film, for that matter. The movie kept hinting that it was funny, but it never really made me laugh. Oh, I chuckled a few times: the gay Stepford Wife is pretty funny, and Glenn Close is pretty entertaining in a few scenes, but that's about it. Too bad, it had quite a cast and a lot of talent. However, sometimes even that's not enough; I've seen better acting (and writing) in high school plays than there were in the last ten minutes of the movie. Plus, out of curiousity, we watched a couple of the deleted scenes, and it was definitely good they were deleted, because they would have made a bad movie even more terrible. So, I think I'd give it a C-. It could have been worse, but it wasn't even adequately satisfying.

No comments: