Tuesday, April 26, 2005

life post-papers

So, Sunday and yesterday it snowed here. What is that all about? On Wednesday of last week I had on shorts and a t-shirt. Now I've got a coat back on again. It's not sticking or anything, and it's really probably in the 40s and 50s for the most part, but after that nice spring weather, it just feels C-O-L-D. I haven't been outside yet today, so I don't know what it's like right now.

I will admit that I am a big dork for a number of reasons. One of them is that I bought myself a computer game for finishing my papers. It's called Rise of Nations, and it's really fun. I don't get into a lot of computer games (yes I have an Xbox, but I actually don't play that much either), but I really like this Real Time Strategy type game. Basically you lead a civilization, including building buildings, organizing and upgrading military units, exploring the world, gaining supplies, building "Wonders" and so on. You win when you get a certain number of wonders points, or if you control over 70% of the map, or if you wipe out your enemies. It's kind of like a more complex and detailed version of Risk. It's way fun. Also you can play online against friends, but a) I don't think any of my friends have it, and b) I am still learning how to play, so I would probably suck. But I highly recommend it if you enjoy that kind of game.

Well, I should get back to grading papers. Along with that, I've got to go make a presentation this evening on how we're going to integrate the Speech Communications classroom and my Rhetoric and Composition classroom over the summer (if I haven't mentioned, I'm teaching in the LEAP program for recently graduated high school students entering Penn State. Basically they sign up to take two classes in tandem, and though they're taught seperately, we coordinate assignments, activities, and so on). It should be fun, but it's been hard to meet this week with end-of-the-semester schedules and so on. For the most part, however, I'm done with school (for a month) and I couldn't feel happier.

No comments: