Thursday, May 05, 2005

Everyday is a holiday

Happy cinco de mayo everyone (in Spanish, "Cinch the mayonaise"--ok, ok, I stole that joke from a friend, but it's still funny). Doing anything exciting? We've got a little party in the park to go to and we may also go out to Karaoke for a first-year grad student end of semester party. We'll see, though, whether we feel like it or not.

Yesterday we had Amelia's boss over for dinner. It was fun; she's very talkative, but entertaining. She and Amelia get along really well. She brought us a bottle of sparkling grape juice, since she knows we don't drink. It was tasty.

Other than that, I'm working on keeping myself busy. I'm reformatting and wiping my old computer so I can sell or give it away, and I'm still contemplating working out my new syllabus. We'll see how that goes.

I've also been watching a sci-fi show on DVD that various people recommended. It's called "Firefly" and it was only on for like 12 episodes, but it's pretty entertaining. I like it, though there are some things that get on my nerves. The future it's set in is a weird combination of Chinese language, the old West, and traditional sci-fi technology. So I could poorly describe it as space cowboys. (Which reminds me, remember that old movie Ice Pirates? I haven't thought of that in years. Was that crappy or what?) It's enjoyable, though a bit cheesy. At times the weird cultural mix works well, and at other times it's really obnoxious and annoying. Like the theme song: Worst. Theme song. Ever. Anyway, it's done by the same guy who created "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and "Angel"--which I've already admitted to being a fan of--so I'm giving it a chance. Plus there's a movie version coming out this summer. You can see the trailer here if you're interested. I like it, I think. It's well written and fun; it just takes some getting used to.

I will say this, however. It's sure nice to be on vacation. I'm really enjoying it.

No comments: