Tuesday, September 20, 2005

distractions, distractions

Disclaimer: I wrote this last night and tried to publish it, but Blogger told me there was an error. Here is attempt number two. And just so you know, as of 1:10 today I've already accomplished numbers 2, 4, and 8. Of course, there are also new items on the list, but hey, you can't have everything!

My problem is, even when I know better, I seem to let myself get caught up in the little stuff. Right now on my desk I have on my desk a To Do list with the following things staring me in the face that I had hoped to get done today. Keep in mind, it is now 10:19 at night.
  1. Read Dracula to p. 300 (I'm on 236)
  2. Readings from Rhetorical Tradition (approximately 50 pages, small text)
  3. Call Webster's and see about selling books
  4. Wednesday Lesson Plan (I teach at 10:10 a.m.)
  5. Skim Ascham text (a full on book that I won't have time to read; skimming will probably take at least 2 hours)
  6. Find Ascham article to review
  7. Research Japan for Friday Lesson Plan
  8. record quiz grades/attendance from Monday
  9. (Because number one was actually from yesterday) Finish Dracula
Now, that's not to say I haven't been productive today. I watched two movies for two different classes (here's the key for required movie watching for movies you've either a) seen before or b) aren't that interested in: turn on subtitles and watch it at double speed. It's great!), I really did read quite a bit of Dracula, I wrote a paper, I did a lot of household stuff, and most importantly I've had some friends in town visiting so I got to spend time with them. I wouldn't want to give up anything I did today that I think was worthwhile. But let's see how else I spent my time:
  1. Went shopping with my wife (30 minutes)
  2. Watched tv (2 hours)
  3. Surfed the Internet/Blogging (30 minutes--probably an hour by the time I finish this entry)
  4. Thought about mice (10 minutes)
  5. Editing for the Eight Cents blog (10 minutes)
  6. Read interesting New Yorker article about missing explorer from the 20s (40 minutes)
That's four hours! Ladies and gentlemen, this is not good. Now, granted, I was being pretty ambitious today, and I wouldn't have gotten everything done. But I would have gotten something done! Why can't someone just invent a way to a) make me require less sleep, b) add hours to the day, or c) force me to focus (perhaps a shock collar or something). It's a problem, and if I didn't know I was just a slacker, I'd think I had adult ADD or something. I swear, throughout my life, I will be my own worst enemy when it comes to being a useful, contributing member of society. And please, if you too find yourself easily distracted and constantly focusing on meaningless time wasting activities, then just don't click this link.

No comments: