Thursday, December 15, 2005

Rumors of My Death Have Been Greatly Exaggerated

Surprise!

After a long, intesne hiatus, I really have returned. For real this time.

I've spent the last several weeks caught up in the excitement of the ending semester and Christmas preparations. What does that mean? Just that I've been spending most of my free time researching robots and renaissance magic, reading student quizzes, term papers, journals, and other assignments, trying to figure out a Christmas budget and Christmas presents for all the immediate family members, and doing all the useless crap that just has to get done.

The good news is, I can see the edge of the woods, and it is close. I turned in both of my papers yesterday (only about 40 pages altogether, so not even very long this year) and returned my library books. I've started grading student journals, and only have 36 more to go. I will then figure grades, enter them, and write off this semester as a bad bad nightmare.

Then I get to get ready for next semester and start the job application process. Joy of Joys.

Actually, this semester turned out to be not so bad. It was ridiculously busy, but what I mean is that on the last day of class I had several students come up to me and tell me that my Asian Lit class was a) their favorite class of the semester, b) the best class they've taken in the Comp Lit department, or c) their favorite class at the university yet. Hello ego stroke! I have to tell you, it's those kinds of comments that reaffirm my love of teaching, because I feel like--for at least a few people in the class--this class has made a difference for them. That's great, because I really did put a lot of work into it, much of which I was afraid was not showing up in the classroom. At any rate, it made me happy, and I hope they were sincere.

Of course, they could have just been grade grubbing. But I choose to think otherwise.

In other news, Amelia and I have been ridiculously addicted to Veronica Mars lately. We just finished watching season 1 on DVD, and I'm sad that I have wait months until season 2 comes out. It's a very clever show, taking all the best elements that I liked from Buffy and Angel (clever dialogue, etc) and adding things like realism, good acting, realistic story lines, and more. The season finale was one of the best hours of television I've watched in a long time. Seriously check it out. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I don't want to say everything worth saying all at once, but look for more frequent posts from me--at least until the end of next semester. I'll do my best not to fall off the face of the earth until then.

No comments: