Sunday, October 01, 2006

Reporting for Duty

Sorry for the continued delays in posting. I keep MEANING to post, and then I don't get around to it. That's what life in the South does for you; everything is a little more relaxed, I guess. Also a little more racist.

Anyway, school goes well. Amelia and I are now comfortable with the fact that we've chosen careers that mark us squarely in some kind of servant class. Still, we're both really enjoying our jobs, so I can't complain that much.

The students are lots of fun. So many different personalities. I know now what ADHD really means, just as I see a whole new side of teenage hormones now that I'm not in the thick of it. It's endlessly entertaining, and only sometimes frightening.

As the pictures at the right illustrate, Amelia and I had a chance to go to the beach lately. It was wonderful, and suddenly I realized why putting up with bugs is not so awful after all. Not only do I get to wear my completely non-stylish, but oh-so-comfortable fishing hat, but also the wildlife here is different than anywhere I've lived before; cranes, seagulls, sandpipers, etc. There is a frog (we call him Mr. Tubbs) outside our apartment in the evening pretty regularly, and though we have yet to see alligators or sea turtles, those are here as well.

Plus, it's October 1 and it still is 80 degrees every day. I think I'm starting to adjust to the weather, because it feels great to me, and I like wearing sunglasses to work instead of a thick coat. On the other hand, I miss the fall colors, but the students tell me there is a little seasonal change later in the year. Of course, they also tell me my 75 degree classroom is freezing and that driving a Mercedes is not uncommon, so what do they know?

My mother is here visiting this weekend, which is great. We don't get to see family too often, so even though the trip is short it's nice to see her. I got a half-day off work on Tuesday and Amelia got the whole day off, so I think we'll have fun going to the beach again or something. Plus there are some cool tourist areas around here as well, so there should be some fun things to do.

Welcome to Dan and Roselyn, friends from State College and new readers to the blog. I don't promise I'll say anything interesting, but I'll always say something.

And finally, student typo of the week: "We returned to the locker rooms after the loss and, to add insult to injury, found that we had been robed!"

No comments: