Thursday, January 24, 2008

As Huey Lewis Said, This Is It

Like Zimm, the Docta tagged me, so here we go...

A. The Rules are posted at the beginning
B. Each player answers about themselves.
C. At the end of the post, the player tags 5 people, posts their names, and goes to their blogs letting them know they've been tagged.

5 Things I Was Doing 10 Years Ago

  1. BYU Year One: Semester Two. I finally got a roommate who I got along with and wasn’t kuh-kuh-kuh-crazy and trying to date a 16 year old.
  2. Getting back together with Amelia and spending lots and lots of time making out together.
  3. Hanging with the boys, which mostly meant watching a lot of movies and driving around in my tiny Mazda 323—but since that was the only car we had, ya takes what ya gets, even if “what ya gets” is someone curled up in the trunk.
  4. Hanging out with my brother (and his girlfriend/now wife) and sister for the only year we’d all be at BYU together.
  5. Working in the MTC mailroom to pay for numbers 2 and 3

5 Things On My To-Do List Today (for tomorrow)

  1. Write a college recommendation for a pretty below-average student
  2. Make sure I have lesson plans together for tomorrow.
  3. Go see Sweeney Todd, either by myself or with a coworker
  4. Walk the dog.
  5. Read large chunks of Pride and Prejudice, The Chosen, and The Kite Runner—two for school and one for me.

5 Snacks I Enjoy

  1. Chips and salsa
  2. Pita and hummus
  3. Red grapes
  4. Granola bars of all kinds
  5. Ice cream. My Achilles heel (or stomach in this case)

5 Things I'd Do if I Were a Billionaire

  1. Retire and write (and ok, watch movies and play video games in my new media room) full time
  2. Buy awesome new homes for my family and friends.
  3. Buy homes for myself in London, New York, San Diego, Kansas City, and Tokyo (at least to start out with)
  4. Travel all the time, both between the locations in #3 and all over the world as well.
  5. Find a really good financial advisor, make sure my family is taken care of for generations, and then do all the stuff I’ve wanted to try (paint, produce a movie, lean to sail, hire a really good personal trainer, etc.)

3 Bad Habits

  1. I procrastinate everything. For example, I’ve been “tagged” to do this for over a week and have meant to do it every day.
  2. I am way lazier than I mean to be. I can get sucked into tv for hours on Saturday before I realize it if I don't turn it off early. What’s worse is that I hate wasting time watching tv I don’t care about, so then I feel guilty afterword and like I’ve wasted the day! This also means that I just improv my way through classes several times a week because I didn’t do a good job writing lesson plans the day before.
  3. Every night I take my socks off while sitting on the couch and then accidentally leave them there. This happens probably 9 days out of 10.

5 Jobs I've Had

  1. Hardee’s employee ( my first and worst job)
  2. Movie theater usher/ snack bar guy/ projectionist
  3. Mailroom guy (in two states and at three different locations!)
  4. Editor
  5. High school English Teacher

5 Things People Probably Don't Know About Me

  1. I’ve always loved to read but I knew I wanted to write after writing a satirical poem called “Captain Zundpundoit” in 4th or 5th grade. Everybody—teachers and other students—was impressed with it (it was terrible, but it was unique) and even though I was never very good at sports or that kind of thing, it felt so good to have created something that no one else could
  2. Like Zimm, I’ve never broken a bone or had a cavity, but I also gag whenever I have to get X-rays at the dentist’s office. I can’t handle it.
  3. I have a goatee because I think my mouth and lips look kind of feminine otherwise.
  4. I have an entire shelf at home of Marvel hardcover graphic novels, and I’ll probably end up at some point with an entire bookshelf. I didn’t start collecting until after Amelia and I got married, and everytime I see all the little “Marvel” spines lined up, I’m happy. Part of it is to share with our kids, whenever we have them, but part of it is also because I never grew out of liking comic books.
  5. I’ve only been pulled over twice. Once I got a ticket, and once I got a warning. I’ve never been in an auto accident, though I did get nicked by a car when I was on my bike at age 11-ish, and I still have a small scar on my ankle where the spiked bike pedal sliced me open.

So there you go. I think most of my friends have already been tagged, but Johnny still hasn’t responded, so I’ll retag him and after that I’m going to keep it in the family and tag Leah, Beth, Jenni, and Matt (who never blogs anymore).

No comments: