Friday, September 05, 2008

Hurricanes, Conventions, and Sinuses (Oh My!)

Can I tell you my favorite part of the Republican National Convention? MSNBC's Andrea Mitchell getting lost in a sea of balloons. Good times. Seriously, though. Let's have a brief word about conventions. Do we need three or four days each party? For Democrats AND Republicans it's a rah rah cheerleader fest tooting their own horns in a mostly rhetorical fashion. We all already know who the nominee is, and most people aren't going to be convinced by one of those speeches. The meat and potatoes of any election has got to be the debates, right? So let's skip the silly hats and the jumbotrons and just get to the other stuff. I enjoyed both presidential candidate speeches, but the stuff leading up to it, where various party members play attack dog? Skip it! Of course, that's politics, I guess. There's even a whole book (looks pretty interesting--Davey Crockett accuses Martin van Buren of wearing women's underwear!) about it. But that doesn't mean it's enjoyable. Leave the jokes and name-calling to John Stewart and Stephen Colbert. (PS: Sarah Palin? I don't buy it. 'Nuff said. I keep promising not to talk politics!)

Anyway, Hanna missed us. I'm a little worried about Ike. You know what he did to Tina, and now he's even a Category IV Hurricane. It's too early to say whether he's coming here, but good night I hope not. The last two hurricane seasons were not NEARLY this stressful.

As a result, I've been fighting off a sinus infection last week. So annoying. My eyes get tired and red, my nose is runny, my body is tired. I'm glad we went and did the boating and tubing on Monday, rather than this weekend. I think I'll take it easy, do some grading, and prepare for next week's evacuation, politics, and illness.

No comments: