Sunday, October 24, 2004

The Manchurian Candidate

The Wife and I just watched The Manchurian Candidate for my Cold War Culture class. That's a pretty dang good movie. I haven't seen the remake, but I was very impressed with the original. It's got a few of the classic--now cheesy--marks of 60s films, like the woman who falls in love with the hero for no discernable reason, the dialogue that's just a little too dramatic or syrupy, and the side characters that are just a little too one-dimensional, but it had a lot going for it as well. It took about 45 minutes for me to get into it, but I was actually impressed with how dramatic it came. Granted, the "Korean" character was a white dude with hair dyed jet black, but hey, it was 1962. The lead actors all turned out quite good, and the last 30 minutes were quite exciting. I don't want to say too much, because I'd recommend it to people who enjoy older films and I don't want to ruin it. But it's a well-done movie.

I think it's interesting also that it was released in 1962. Just one year before Kennedy's assassination.

Also, this movie proves once again why Frank Sinatra is the man. I dig that guy.

No comments: