Thursday, March 24, 2005

Kansas: Land of Ahs

No, that's not my clever headline. That was Kansas's Tourist Motto when I was in junior high.

So here we are in Kansas. It's been a relaxing little trip so far. It's strange, however, because my parents are out of town, so we're spending all day every day over at Amelia's parents house, but sleeping in my empty house. It's fun though. Yesterday was her dad's birthday, and he thought we weren't coming until tonight, so we got to surprise him and have a big party with everyone. That was a lot of fun (and there were also very tasty ribs, so no one was complaining).

We've gotten to meet our nephew Jamen for the first time too. He's a cutie, and a very relaxed child. He's hardly cried at all in the past 24 hours, though I heard he stayed up all night last night. It's fun to see Amelia's sister and her husband though. They just finished building a house and things have been crazy for them, so I hope they're relaxing while they're here.

Tonight my brother Matt and his family are coming down and we're all going to have dinner together. I'm very excited to see him and his wife and some of our other nieces and nephew.

Also, I should be doing homework, but I really don't want to. I've already written this semester off, which is bad since there are still five weeks, two projects, and three major papers left. I'm just not too worried about it. Either it'll get done, or it won't. And that's probably why I shouldn't be in school after I finish my Master's.

So speaking of which, I can't decide what I want to do when I grow up. I'd really like to do something meaningful, and teaching satisfies that, I think. But I'd also really like working for some kind of non-profit organization or something where every day I feel like I'm helping someone. I'm tempted to look into government jobs, because I think they're stable and have good benefits and it would be interesting, but I don't know if I'm qualified for anything worthwhile. What I need is someone to just call me and offer me a job paying a healthy salary and that I would enjoy. Of course, the odds of that happening are about zero in one, so I guess it's back to the drawing board.

Unfortunately, being on vacation leaves me far too much time to think of things like this.

No comments: