Tuesday, April 19, 2005

two down, one to go

I've been away so long I thought I'd better check in for my faithful readers (both of you). It's been a crazy past couple of weeks. I had a 10-12 page paper due last Wednesday, a 20 page paper due yesterday, and my last paper is due on Monday. Needless to say, I've been frantically researching, writing, and revising. So basically all my time has been devoted to that and Solitaire on the computer. I don't know why, but playing solitaire totally relaxes me. It's faster than watching tv or playing xbox, keeps my mind occupied, and I'm starting to get good. Is that pathetic or what?

Life is pretty good (especially when the end of the semester is NEXT WEEK!) though for the past two weeks or so (as it's started to get warm) the grounds crew at PSU has started construction literally right outside my classroom window. I don't know if they're replacing the sidewalk or what (the windows are up high) but it's just ridiculous. Trucks backing up, saws running, men shouting, loud noises! Even with the windows closed we can't hear each other. I had to move class outside yesterday (on the other side of the building of couse) because one of my students was trying to read an in-class writing assignment aloud and no one could hear her. I know that construction has to get done, and it's been beautiful outside lately, so of course it's a good time to do it. But I teach at 8:00 in the morning, and half the building is empty! If they would just notify us before hand we could move to a different room. I think we'll do that tomorrow anyway, but good night it's obnoxious.

One other strange thing. Perhaps you've noticed the news (if you love CNN or something), but our District Attorney here is missing. It's very strange. He called his girlfriend at like 11:30 on Friday and said he was going for a drive. Police found his car on Saturday afternoon. No activity on his credit cards, bank cards, cell phone, etc. Now the FBI is involved in the search, but as of this morning no one had heard anything. He seems to have disappeared without a trace. They're not automatically suspecting foul play, but given his position . . . that's just a little freaky. You can read more here if you want.

Also, I'm writing my last paper on the natural/supernatural/unnatural in Macbeth and Akira Kurosawa's Throne of Blood. Anyone have anything good to add in?

No comments: