Tuesday, July 19, 2005

good things

I knew my crap day yesterday was turning around when I turned on the TV at 10:30 last night and The Usual Suspects was on. That movie is just one of my favorites. Spacey before he was full of himself, Kevin Pollock and his under the breath comments, dorky Stepehn Baldwin (in one of his few movies that didn't completely suck), Gabriel Byrne strong and silent, and Benecio del Toro with that hilarious slur. It just doesn't get much better. I only watched for about 30 minutes, but it was enough to cheer me up. Then I get home from school today, flip on the tv, and it's on again exactly at the point I stopped it last night. That totally let me know that fate was no longer conspirng against me.

Yesterday aside, I had a great weekend last week. It was Arts Fest here in State College, which was a lot of fun. It's like combining the high class of a museum or art show with the low brow sensibilities of a country fair. Where else can you go walk down the street, look at multi-thousand dollar works of art in one booth, and then buy a funnel cake in the next booth?

There were a lot of really impressive artists, too, with art in just about every medium you could think of, including photography, watercolors, oils, pottery, silverwork, wood crafts, handmade puppets, knitted blankets, and a whole lot more. Pretty much everything was out of our league in terms of price--we bought a few small Christmas presents for family members, but nothing for ourselves--but we had a great time checking everything out. When we do have money, I'd love to come back. There were some amazing pieces there. Art collecting is not anything I'm particularly intersted in, but I would like to have real pieces and nice original pieces at some point. Right now my favorite parts of our "art collection" are a couple photographs my brother-in-law took, a couple pieces I bought in London, and a unique poster or two (also from London). It's cool, but I'd love to get more eventually.

Unfortunately, that's just one more thing that's not in the old college student budget. No problem, maybe in the future.

No comments: