Sunday, August 07, 2005

i'm back, clowns

To all my faithful readers who've missed me over the past 4 days, fear not. I have returned. You'll both get the promised money next week.

Had a pretty enjoyable vacation with most of the family--my brother (Matt) and my sister (Jenni) couldn't get away from their jobs, so it wasn't quite a family reunion, but we had a good time. When we got in on Thursday night, everyone else had gotten a late start. My brother Chris (semi-frequent reader of this blog) was late because his daughter had swallowed and choked on a ring. We were definitely glad she was ok. At any rate, Amelia and I went swimming while we waited for everyone to show up, and let me tell you, I'd forgotten how relaxing swimming is. I'm not really a swimmer of the lap/strokes variety, but I do like hanging out in the water.

Friday was a long, long day. We went out to Hershey Park in the morning and afternoon. I haven't been to an amusement park in years, so it was fun riding roller coasters again, even if I don't love them quite as much as I did at age 18. I did get lost with two of my nephews at one point, which was a bit embarassing. They couldn't ride one of the roller coasters, so while we waited outside, I took them on the Tilt-A-Whirl. I guess the people we were waiting for didn't realize where we'd gone, and so they left to look for us, and I didn't know where they'd gone, so we went to look for them. It was a good 30-40 minutes of wandering around, but eventually we got back together. I did feel bad, though, because my nephews were really worried that everyone else was "riding all the really cool rides without" them. Turns out, they were right, but I think it all worked out in the end.

That night we went to a minor league game over in Lancaster and watched the Long Island somethings beat the Lancaster Barnstormers. Too bad, but it was fun. Lancaster has a really nice new stadium there, and we all had a good time.

On Saturday we went out to Gettysburg and explored the cemetary. We didn't have much time to get to the battlefield, unfortunately, because we all had to go in separate directions, but we did see one re-enactor who did a little tour of the cemetary. It was pretty interesting.

That was about the extent of the trip. We also did a little shopping (I bought a shirt) but there wasn't much more than that. It was fun to see everyone, though I wish we'd had a little more time just to relax and hang out together and talk or play games or something. We're a pretty social family, but it's hard when you've got to keep 6 younger kids entertained. We'll look forward to the next get-together, however.

Wow, this post is dull. I guess I could try and spice it up, but I think this'll have to do for now.

No comments: