Tuesday, October 25, 2005

but what about trick or treating?

It snowed today in good old central Pennsylvania. I may not speak for everyone, but I at least speak for my wife and I when I say "What the crap?" It's not even Halloween yet!

Actually, it wasn't even very cold. It was just the idea of snow on October 25 that I found offensive. Because of the drought this summer, I had thought it would be a lighter winter. "Not so" say some of the old timers around here. Loads of snow will probably suck (and it will definitely mean I need to find a way to fix up my boots a little) but on the plus side, maybe we'll get snow days. I know, I sound like a nine-year-old. Nope, just a pathetic grad student.

Amelia's aunt and uncle came though town today. It was good to see them (her family is so friendly and likeable), but the visit was made even better when they took us out to eat at a fairly nice steakhouse. Which reminds me, I should probably write a little thank you note:
Dear $30 steak,

I don't get to eat you very often, but when I do, you are truly juicy and delicious. Keep up the good work!

Sincerely,

Shoeless Joel
Thanks, now back to the blog.

I'm almost finished grading tests (I know, I've been slow, but I did take a trip this weekend, so deal with it) and I'm shocked how many people just didn't read directions and screwed themselves out of 30 points. Probably five or six students completely skipped one portion of the test. I feel bad for them, but I don't feel responsible. Sorry kids, deal with it.

Well, I should go to bed. I'm currently in the middle of a Korean film festival (not recommended: The Isle by Kim Ki-Duk. I'm a big fan of one of his other films, but I couldn't do much with this one. I turned it off after about 20 minutes of crap. I'm currently watching 2009: Lost Memories which takes off from the interesting conceit that Japan allied with the US in World War II and was on the winning side, so there is no Korea. On the downside, it's 3 HOURS LONG! Hence the "I'm in the middle of it" statement. Up next is the horror film A Tale of Two Sisters. I'll let you know how they turn out. In the meantime, stay warm on these cold winter nights.

No comments: