Monday, January 30, 2006

getting in the groove and whatnot

So I think my posts have been pretty lackluster lately. Not only infrequent but also uninspired. I'm going to work on that. Honest. For a little while there I had upwards of five to six people reading the blog, but lately it seems to be mostly me and my shadow. However, it's my goal to bring this blog back to its former glory, so here's to new resolutions (*clink*). Who says the new year is the only time to pick yourself up and get back on track?. Not me.

I'm at a pretty good place in the semester right now. You know--a few weeks in, no big assignments due (well, a book review in a couple of weeks, but should be ok overall), papers to grade but nothing life-shatteringly (did I just make that word up?) urgent. Plus, it's been a calming weekend for me involving mass amounts of Buffy and much relaxification (Amelia's been under the weather) so I feel pretty pleased. As always, my periods of calm may be followed by weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth, but for now, I just feel very content. It happens rarely enough, but when it does--good times.

Not good times ahead, though. I honestly don't remember the last time I had a dental appointment. I think it was before I got married. If that sounds wrong or disgusting, let me say in my defense that
a) I've never had a cavity
b) I'm a VERY regular brusher, often using cool devices like battery operated toothbrushes
c) Dental x-rays make me gag
So with all that working against me, it's no wonder that it's been a while. It's about time to go, however. Once we make sure Amelia's TMD (it's a jaw problem--basically she could only open her mouth halfway for a while) didn't cost us major expenses, it's my turn to get in the torture chair and allow someone to pick and prod at my mouth.

As I result, I have very recently started to try and acquire a habit I've never been able to develop: flossing. You see, flossing hurts. I have sensitive gums and close-together-teeth, so flossing involves a lot of pushing and pulling and a bit of blood. But I also want my teeth to be ok, so I'm trying to get better at it. I've found if I ignore the pain and power through, I may have a mouthful of blood, but at least I've accomplished something. And in a world where I applying for jobs and making my computer do what I want it to takes up hours and days of my life, sometimes it's nice to accomplish something in ten minutes.

Besides, since I am self-conscious about my mouth (crossbite, ridiculously sharp canines, etc.) every little thing to improve the appearance helps. Up next: Crest WhiteStrips. But I think I'll save those for after the dentist. At that point, I'll probably have lost my "no cavities" title and have to do something to make me feel good about the mouth again.

No comments: