Saturday, May 13, 2006

Good Times


The link above is from my brother-in-law, who I don't think reads this blog. At any rate, funny stuff.

So I've been out of the blogoverse for a while, mostly because I've been doing a lot of travelling. Last weekend was New Jersey, then last week was Georgia. That's right, Georgia. I had a job interview down there. I'll post more details later (hopefully after I've gotten an offer) but for now let me just say this: island living. I would expect everyone to come visit. If I do get the job, I'm sure I'll be posting enough to make you sick and tired of my thoughts about Georgia, so that's it for now.

With grad school over now, I have lots of time (which will disappear soon, since I have to find a temp job so we can pay bills) to sort of play around. Here are my thoughts:

1 - If you don't know DJ Danger Mouse, you're missing out. He just keeps getting better and better. I liked a few songs on the Grey Album, but some of them didn't do much for me. Then I really liked the Danger Mouse-produced Gorillaz album Demon Days. The Mouse and the Mask was fun, too. But now Gnarls Barkley's St. Elsewhere is just great. Hip-hop, funk, retro, whatever--it's great. Danger Mouse's beats get stronger and his hooks get catchier with every album. Check it out.

2 - MI:III - pretty good. That J.J. Abrams knows how to tell a good story, and that first death scene (I won't say whose death): freaky. My only problems: as one friend pointed out, the whole thing often felt like a big lead-up, but what it led up to was kind of disappointing. Also, there should have been more Keri Russell! She was good at this role, and I would have liked to see more of her.

3 - I'm worried that I can't get this movie yet through Netflix. Because I want to see it oh so bad.

4 - Have you been watching news about E3? If you don't know what E3 is, you're probably not a big video gamer. No worries, if you don't care about it, it won't change your life. For a gamer, though, like me, it's like a visit from the ghost of Christmas future (minus the death and open grave). While I was of course excited about Halo 3 and other cool news, I'm most intrigued by what Nintendo is doing with the Wii (I don't know how to prounce that) system and their brand new numchuck-style two handed controllers. If these motion sensitive controls work, not only will this change the face of gaming but it will possibly encourage me to make my next system a Nintendo. Baseball games where you actually swing? First person shooters where you point and shoot (reminder of my arcade youth)? How about using your controller like a lightsaber in a Star Wars game? Incredible. I'm excited to see this and hear how it works.

5 - New book review up today: Watchmen. You should read this.

No comments: