Monday, August 06, 2007

This Too Shall Pass

Amelia and I had an action-filled weekend. We saw both Hot Fuzz and The Bourne Ultimatum, and both proved to be excellent. Easily worth your money.

They say all good things must come to an end, and it looks like summer is on its way out for me. I have my first partial day back at work this week, though it's just a short training session on the new computer grade recording program we're using. Then next Wednesday pre-planning starts.

All in all, it hasn't been a bad summer, I have to admit. Though we were sorely lacking in the vacation aspect of things (a trip to Kansas for a funeral doesn't really count, I believe) we have a great house that is really starting to come together. We're nearly done with the decorating, though I have a couple items I'd like to get framed, including a nice poster of Penn State--I'm not sure where my diploma is, so this will have to suffice for now--and a map of Kansas from Raven Maps like this one here. So we won't really be done for a little while, and we still have a whole bonus room (converted garage) and a back yard that we don't know what to do with yet. Still, home ownership is a lot of fun. All the disasters so far have been averted (even the leaking fridge was just a frozen ice-maker pipe. Easy fix.)

With school starting again, the key is to stay organized. There are lots of things to stay on top of: lawn care (difficult when it alternates between 100 degrees and pouring rain, as it has been for the past week), lesson plans, blogging, working on my novel, relaxation (Daniel Pink says that playing video games is good for the right brain; I knew I had a reason for doing it), church junk, house cleaning, extra-curricular activities, trying to become a better photographer, paying bills, dating my wife, possibly taking care of a dog (we're in the market), and so on and so forth.

How do you keep on top of everything? I find myself to be a listmaker. I have a little calendar that I carry around with me and on each day I make a to do list. I've thought about getting a palm pilot, but the entry system never seems that comfortable to me. Amelia puts her calender in her phone, but again it takes forever to write stuff down. Maybe I should follow in my mentor P. Diddy's steps and hire a personal assistant through YouTube. I personally think this girl has the job wrapped up.

Speaking of videos, if you haven't been watching the X-Games, check out this video of Jake Brown falling more than forty feet out of the air. The man hits so hard his shoes come off and walks away.

No comments: