Thursday, March 06, 2008

Can I Just Have a Face Pamphlet?

So I remembered today that I have a facebook account that I created and then ignored while a grad student at Penn State. Turns out in all that time I've been invited to be friends with . . . seven people.

One of whom I don't know.

This is kind of sad, I think.

Anyway, I set up a little basic information--where I went to college, grad school, etc. And I had a few minutes of excitement about connecting with old friends, since one of my friend invites was from a girl I was good friends with during my semester in England.

But overall?

I don't get it.

So, what exactly is the point of facebook? Do you really care what I'm up to all the time? Do I need to post photos of myself at a kegger to be considered cool? Is this a high school popularity contest all over again? Is it just an easy way to connect to old friends? Or is it a mostly useless fad, like MySpace?

Enlighten me, please. Otherwise it might be another four years until I look at this thing again.

And that would be a tragedy for all of us.

No comments: