Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Eagle Eye-yi-yi

Amelia and I decided to forgo the debate last night. I know whose policies and worldview I prefer overall, and I was just feeling a little burned out politically. Plus, I figured if something huge happened (like, if Obama had said, "I know where Bin Laden is; he's chillin' in my poolhouse." Or if McCain had said, "My friends, the only way out of this economic crisis is by sacrificing a live goat. I know, because I know how to win wars.") then it would be replayed endlessly on the news. So I took a chance, and by all accounts it was the right choice.

Instead, we decided to go out on a date. We went to dinner (we'd been fasting, so it was extra delicious) and then went to see "Eagle Eye." For a popcorn film, it was fine. Fun, fast paced, utterly preposterous--the usual.

In a lot of ways the movie reminded me of a Rube Goldberg contraption: silly, over-the-top, a predictable ending, much more complicated than it needs to be, and ultimately pointless, but still fun to watch unfold. In terms of acting, Shia Labeouf plays himself again, but he's still likeable, and Billy Bob Thornton does his best "Tommy Lee Jones in the Fugitive" impression. I can't remember the lead girl's name, but she was fine too.

My main complaint was simply that director DJ Caruso (David's younger brother?) doesn't know how to film (or edit) action sequences. During some of the car chase scenes I would think the chase car or the main car crashed, then suddenly it would be moving again. Fast blurry cuts does not a Bourne Ultimatum awesome car chase make.

Still, it's throwaway fun. If you have an evening and $20 to kill and aren't expecting anything amazing, it's an enjoyable little film.

The real fun was just taking a night off from responsibility and going out on the town. We don't have kids, but we do have responsibilities, and sometimes dates become rote. Last night was a fun way to shake up the usual schedule.

No comments: