Thursday, November 06, 2008

The Song Goes On

In my excitement over Obama's election, I was also profoundly disappointed in the outcome of California's Prop 8 vote. I would be dishonest if I did not say that I believe it, and my Church's involvement in its passing, are mistakes that I pray will be rectified in time. My feelings on homosexuality have changed and evolved over the course of my life, due in large part to my interaction with close friends who are gay. I'm sad for them today. I know that many readers will feel differently, and I'm happy to discuss my feelings via email. I'm not looking to start a flame war, just feeling a need to express my feelings, and that's one of the purposes of this blog. My concerns are my own, and I don't ask you to share or agree with them.

In better news, I laid the smack down in study hall today. For the most part, I think I'm pretty laid back as a teacher. I don't give detentions or other punishments unless pushed (or unless I'm having a really bad day), I don't get riled up particularly easily, and student's don't typically phase me. I figure, they're teenagers; stupidity comes with the program.

But since I keep hearing reports about students who have told me they are going to work on the computers instead wandering the halls, I decided enough was enough. I set some new ground rules--basically, once you're in study hall, you stay there, unless you have a note to excuse you. Bring your books; you're not going to your locker. If you want to use a computer you'd better have a note from a teacher explaining that you do have an assignment due. And tardies to study hall matter.

I got some attitude, of course--kids like to push the limits and see just how much they can get away with. It'll take some time to get things going in the new rhythm, but once they do I think it'll be good.

Still, there is a distinct pleasure to be had in reminding students just who is in charge. Especially if you can do it with a smile on your face and a level voice.

Other than that, life proceeds as normal. My nerd index is reaching an all time high. I actually am playing a role playing game on my xbox, I am reading a fantasy novel, and I just bought a Nintendo DS, on which I play riddle and puzzle games. All I need to do is get a Star Trek uniform and I could be crowned King of the Nerdlings. Or at least court jester.

Posts on all these things may be coming soon (I've learned from sad experience that it is the nature of me, once I have a blog idea, as I suppose, to immediately make promises and raise expectations, even though I am poor at following up. Hence many posts are announced, but few are written), as, I hope, will a post on what may be the most important thing to change on Nov. 4th: CNN HAS HOLOGRAMS!

No comments: