Sunday, February 01, 2009

Yesterday: So Stimulating!

For the economy.

Yesterday was a money-spending extravaganza for us--some of it planned, some not. I finally bit the bullet and bought a new tv. Those of you who have been to my house might be thinking, "But Joel, you have a beautiful 60" Philips HDTV!" Which is true, but not the whole story.

When we bought our house the tv and entertainment center were part of the package. And I am addicted to the extremely huge picture. But there are a few things that bug me about the setup

1) The entertainment center was never quite my style. I liked the storage space, but the look wasn't something I would buy on my own (I'm much more modern). It's not exactly too huge for the space, because the ceiling vaults up, but it never looked quite right to me.

2) The Philips is only 1080i, which may not matter to you, but to a tech nerd like me it's kind of annoying. Also, it's a traditional 4:3 aspect ratio rather than the new standard 16:9. Also, it's very very bulky, and had brightness/crispness issues. Especially since I may buy a blueray player/ps3 in the near future (I know a guy).

3) Sears had a sale. Which meant we could put it on our sears card (no interest) and which meant we could get a $500 surround sound system for free (which we'd also been wanting)

4) It's a valentine's day present to both of us, seeing as how we're movie/tv fans. I can't wait to set it up1

In addition to that purchase which we'd been thinking about for a while (I got a Sony Bravia W series 52", if you were wondering), our iron took the opportunity to break, which meant we got a new one of those as well. Plus we went to dinner (the best pizza) and a movie (Doubt: Thumbs up!) and bought some gifts for some friends. All in all, I think we did our part to bring America out of a recession. So tomorrow I'm expecting a raise, a healthy tax return, and a presidential thank you.

Or at least for neither of us to get laid off. That would work too.

No comments: