Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Bald is Beautiful

Yul Brynner.

Telly Savalas.

Rudy Giuliani.

Ving Rhames.

Shoeless Joel.

I am a bald man. I admit it. There's no use in denying it, and I don't want to. Though I'm uncommonly bald for age 27, I've come to accept and even like my baldness. My head is well-shaped. I keep the hair I have short, so I don't have to worry about combing or styling. And frankly, I think I look pretty good. At least I look like me, and that's important.

Sure, I have fond memories of high school and early college, when I had a thick head of hair that my girlfriends liked running their fingers through. And sure, there's a part of me that would like to have that hair today.

But I don't, and I still think I'm a good looking and attractive man. Why would I spend my life pining for what was when my shiny scalp in no way inhibits my life or happiness? Plus, since I was fairly bald 4 years ago, even my wife knew what she was getting into when she married me. And she seems to like me just fine. Cueballs of the world: bald is beautiful, and accepting and embracing leads to more confidence and comfort than being embarrassed or ashamed.

Delete the spam promising miracle growth! Stop combing over! Flush your rogaine!

Everytime I see a commercial advertising new advancements in hair restoration, I want to reach through the screen and slap the men who sing the praises of laser-hair-follicle-treatment, or whatever the latest thing is. It is you who perpetuate the stereotype that baldness is somehow a shame. It is you who cause men to fear their own skulls and obsessively check their hairlines each morning.

Embrace your baldness! Celebrate your scalp! Let your forehead shine as a light unto the world!

Buy hats--you'll need them when the sun is out--but don't hide the truth under them like the Ron Howards of the world. Love yourself, and the world will love you too.

No comments: