Friday, February 19, 2010

Weak End

Here's the thing lately. We bought a gym membership. But I leave for work at around 7:15 everyday (commute, a little prep time, try and be ready to go in school by around 7:50) and after a long day of teenagerdom, the last thing I want is to go exercise. So when do I go?

5 a.m.

What? Until a few weeks ago the only reason I'd get up that early would be for a road trip or if someone set the house on fire.

So it's been a little bit of an adjustment, and as a result I find myself falling asleep early. Like sometimes before 10:00 early. Because the body needs some rest, right? But then when the weekend comes I want to stay up late again, because I CAN, finally. And then the whole schedule gets thrown off and I'm exhausted come Monday morning again.

What I'd like is a way to go to the gym, start exercising, and then just go to sleep until the workout is over. Is there a way to do that? I imagine it would involve some sort of electrical stimulation of the muscles or something, but I'm a pretty big guy. I think I could take it. I just need to find a way to turn my brain off from the stimulus coming in.

Teenagers do that naturally. I often find I'm engaging them on a subject only to discover their brains are completely disconnected. Maybe they have something to teach me after all.

No comments: